Bob & Tom suck

I can’t stand the Bob & Tom radio show. If my radio happens to be on in the morning to a station that’s airing Bob & Tom, I am forced after about 30 seconds to change the station.

I write this as someone who knows basically nothing about Bob & Tom, their gags, their recurring jokes and/or guests, or what they have to say about anything. I don’t know what they say or do, because I can’t stand listening to them for more than 30 seconds.

I’m sure there are defenders of Bob & Tom out there. There must be some reason they have an audience. Maybe I’ll even hear from some of them. But all I have to say about Bob & Tom is that because of that incessant ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha false laugher, they are utterly unbearable. If you listen to them for 10 seconds, either Bob will laugh at Tom, Tom will laugh at Bob, one of them will laugh at himself, or one of them will laugh at their guest. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-*SMACK*. Shut the fuck UP.

I don’t buy it for a second. It’s all phony. They can’t possibly be really laughing that much. It’s all forced for our benefit.

Laugh tracks have a long history, most specifically on sitcoms. If you stop and think about a laugh track, it’s absurd: You’re watching a show where they’re trying to sell to you, via psychology, that something is funny, even if it’s not. (See, everyone else is laughing! You should be too!)

With Bob & Tom, the audience isn’t laughing; the performers are. All artifice is obvious, and it becomes insulting to your intelligence. Here are two guys laughing at everything that is said, as if it’s the funniest thing ever! And not only is it insulting to my intelligence, it’s just plain annoying. Ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha-ha!! Here are two guys who won’t shut up about how funny they are. Frankly, in real life, I find it suspicious when someone laughs at everything. I identify them as suck-ups, stupid, phony, or all of the above.

Because not everything is even close to that funny. Hell, barely 10 percent of it is.

How is it that the audience of this inane radio show hasn’t risen up and revolted against this blatantly stupid laughter that is attempting to con them into thinking Bob & Tom are funny? How does this show have any audience at all?

Maybe it’s the content. Maybe it really is funny. I seriously doubt it. But I’ll never stick around long enough to find out, because I’d be forced to kill myself.

◄ Blog Home Page

85 comments on this post

Bowzer
Wednesday, June 27, 2012, 5:09 pm (UTC -6)

I wish Bob would shoot Tom,then put the gun in his own mouth,then fake laugh while pulling the trigger!

Geezer
Tuesday, September 4, 2012, 4:11 pm (UTC -6)

Their show has got to be one of the most annoying radio shows on, besides fat ass Limbaugh. The forced laughter is grating and the crap they spew is just that. It AINT funny

Steve
Monday, September 10, 2012, 6:04 pm (UTC -6)

Can’t STAND ’em ! It truly amazes me how these buffoons manage to maintain any ratings at all ! ! They really should be ashamed and humiliated of themselves. Do they not listen to the competition? The only ones that suck more than BnT are the asshole station managers who let these two on their airwaves!

Whiskey Beer
Monday, October 1, 2012, 3:51 pm (UTC -6)

If you missed today’s Bob and Tom show it went a little something like this….

“we have Chick McGee at the Bob and Tom sports desk. We have Kristi Lee at the Bob and Tom news desk. We have Chick McGee at the Bob and Tom sports desk. We have Kristi Lee at the Bob and Tom news desk. *Insert phony laughter here*. We have Chick McGee at the Bob and Tom sports desk. We have Kristi Lee at the Bob and Tom news desk. *Insert phony laughter here*. We have Chick McGee at the Bob and Tom sports desk. We have Kristi Lee at the Bob and Tom news desk. *Insert phony laughter here*.”

They absolutely suck!

Ricky Bubbles
Thursday, November 8, 2012, 9:19 pm (UTC -6)

I love that enough people are searching for “Bob and Tom not funny” that the negative feedback on this post spans 5 years! I occasionally listened to the show when I was having too good a morning and need to be a bit more depressed. Nothing sends me into a rage quite like Tom Griswold’s attempt at humor. Or understanding modern society. Or letting anyone else get a word in when he has something asinine he wants to say. I haven’t listened to the show in about 4 years, but I tuned in the other day and I didn’t miss a thing. Same tired jokes. Same unfunny “characters”. Same “uh-huhs” and “oh yeah?” from Bob while a comedian does a bit from their stand-up routine. In a perfect world Christie Lee would get so sick of Tom cutting her off while she reads the news that she’d lose it and beat him unconscious with a microphone. They are awful. Damn that rant felt nice!

havick
Friday, February 8, 2013, 1:11 am (UTC -6)

I’m glad someone else agrees. It’s not so much that the jokes are terrible – some are, but it’s impossible to be funny all the time. But that fake laughter just GRATES.

A to the B
Saturday, February 23, 2013, 10:42 pm (UTC -6)

I am forced to listen to these idiotic shit bags and their morning dirty talk every morning in my carpool. Moronic Hee Haw jokes, stupid “call ins”. The only people who laugh at these douche bags are themselves. “Blah blah penis – hahahah, blah blah cameltoe – hahaha” it enough to make me want to quit the carpool and drive myself. At least I have XM.

card recovery
Wednesday, May 8, 2013, 11:07 am (UTC -6)

MicroSD card recovery Pro is file data recovery software designed to recover lost files including video, documents, pictures, audios, and videos from memory cards, CD-ROMs, and lost pictures from digital camera memory.

NOT RIGHT
Tuesday, October 22, 2013, 11:22 am (UTC -6)

Ever noticed that EVERY interview starts with: “Do you have any tatoos? Or, do you enjoy the reefer?”
The day I almost got sick in my car…….Christie was talking about her dog eating a tampon and it was USED!!! Barf

sean dundas
Saturday, December 28, 2013, 3:19 pm (UTC -6)

what really pisses me off about these two idiots is that they keep insisting that those two urban legends about danny Thomas and chuck Connors are true when they’re not! I wish marlo Thomas and the chuck Connors estate would seek legal action against these two boring, over the hill scumbags!

Normal Person
Wednesday, February 12, 2014, 11:17 am (UTC -6)

I agree that the humor is very low brow. Interesting that the few people who posted that they like the show can barely read and write. So many mistakes in their writing that a 3rd grader would be ashamed. It is definitely an issue of intelligence. Some of us just don’t find bathroom humor funny anymore. Have often thought that I’d have loved this show back when I was about 10 years old.

The worst part though, as so many others have stated is the forced laughter. I can take a laugh track too, that’s not it at all. The issue is whether something is funny or not it is accompanied by what I can only describe as “cackling.”

So to my fellow non-idiots, I feel your pain. Then again, if this show was geared to the thinking population, it would be a very small demographic, so not surprising really that this show has found an audience. Most Americans are now behaving like assholes, so how can they not like a show geared to them?

shawn
Thursday, February 27, 2014, 6:27 pm (UTC -6)

Yeah, I want to shove a pencil in my ear every-time I used to hear that shitty show.

Can’t even enjoy a song by Tim Wilson without them cackling, and laughing over every single little joke in his songs he plays. It’s downright shitty. Shittier than a gay mans dick in a gay pride parade in fact.

thaDeceiver
Sunday, May 25, 2014, 7:32 am (UTC -6)

A family member used to occasionally listen to these two every now and then. The show IMO is not funny and their NON STOP LAUGHTER AT EVERYTHING was the final straw. Its way too forced and it never stops. The Free Beer and Hotwings Morning Show is the ONLY morning show i choose to listen to because they are my type of comedy. Different strokes for different folks, Im just expressing my honest opinion.

It’s irrelevant
Thursday, October 30, 2014, 7:35 am (UTC -6)

It sounds like a prolonged torturous laugh from The Count of Sesame Street. 1… Ah ah ah ah… 2 ah ah ah ah…. Except three people all doing it at the same time. way more annoying.
Please put me out of my misery.

Justin
Saturday, November 8, 2014, 10:41 pm (UTC -6)

To all you bob and Tom haters out there, until you do the things for people as they have you can shove your negative comments up your asses. Seems like most of you haven’t even taken the time to listen to them. Oh and until you make 14 million dollars a year as Tom Griswold and donate to many charities as he does you can go fuck yourself.

guest
Friday, November 14, 2014, 8:25 am (UTC -6)

Just caught this on the radio. I had to hit the scan button when that laugh track just kept going. The last straw was when the skit was ending and the laugh track was still going while Bob/Tom starting talking over their own laugh…

James
Monday, December 15, 2014, 7:41 am (UTC -6)

My favorite local rock station 105.9 KZZK the griz just started airing the bob and Tom show today. Usually from 6-9am they had their own morning show with Quad (who I really enjoyed) and he would go over the news and play music. I can tell you that I already miss it! Ive never been able to stand bob and Tom but decided on the way to work to listen in. My morning commute is roughly 40mins and for 40mins I never once laughed or even cracked a smile. I did however try to count how many times they laughed and lost count within the first 5 mins. I then decided to google “how do Bob and Tom laugh so much” and stumbled across these post. Glad to see in not alone. If they would laugh at what’s actually funny I could probably force myself to listen 40mins a day. But literally within 2mins of listening to their fake ha ha ha laughter I want to jerk the wheel into an oncoming speeding tractor trailer. Here sums up the 40mins I listened to this morning. “Christmas time is around ha ha ha the corner ha ha ha my favorite color is green ha ha he said green ha ha now a Christmas jingle song inserted – all I want for Christmas is cash cash cash ha ha ha ha ha fucking ha ha. I couldn’t even understand the words in the song because they laughed so loud and for the entire length of the song. How can a person laugh that much? Now I’m forced to find a new channel for my morning commute. I would rather listen to 40 minutes of driving on the rumble strip the whole way to work then listen to another single minute of bob and Tom!

markymark
Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 4:09 pm (UTC -6)

I placed Bob and Tom on a device originally used to modify the fall-back time changes on clocks in October. for daylight Savings It is now used to automatically change the radio station from 105.3 “The Bear” to John Tesh radio, the Gregorian chant channel, the Roy Masters-blow-rainbows-and-unicorn-turds-into-a-ray-of-sunshine show or ANYTHING, and I repeat ANYTHING besides these two bumbling, morosely inane and painfully annoying blow-hard wannabe stand-up comics who couldn’t pull a good joke or funny line out of a Leslie Neilson movie. I call the device the RETARD-O-METER. After the 3 hours of fatuous, canned-laughter laden, moronically inspired poopy-pants dill wads rambling on about snot, or gay movies, or how fat J-Lo’s butt looked last night….it automatically goes back to 105.3, and hopefully some music, which is the primary reason I tune it there to begin with. These bozo’s gotta go somewhere besides a rock-and-roll station. They don’t fit. If they don’t fit, you must just quit.

EZ
Friday, September 25, 2015, 6:28 pm (UTC -6)

Man I hate to bag on white guys trying to make it in the entertainment business but these guys are terrible. They replaced John Boy & Billy on 104.1 in North Florida and for the life of me I can not see why. I myself prefer music nine times out of ten in the morning but would occasionally listen to John Boy & Billy. I’ve tried to give these guys a chance but I can not find a single thing they are saying to be amusing much less funny. I’m glad that the market has not be saturated with Steve Harvey and the likes…. but there has to be better options.

EZ
Tuesday, October 6, 2015, 6:59 am (UTC -6)

Im glad to announce that WGLF 104.1 cut bob and tom to go back to music. Bob and tom only stayed here for a quick minute. They are completely unlistenable.

Cheesebutt
Thursday, November 12, 2015, 4:33 pm (UTC -6)

I can’t stand the character Donnie baker. That character should have burned out long ago. Always the same stupid ol stuff from Donnie. He’s dumber than owl shit. I swear to god he is!

RandomThoughts
Friday, November 13, 2015, 6:54 am (UTC -6)

Hello Everyone!

I have not listened to Bob and Tom for a few years now, because I’m just out of range of the Indy station and there is no local station that carries them. I’d started listening to them back in ’91 or so, when they arrived in the market I lived in. Perhaps I still like them so much (when I happen to be closer to Indy) because I’ve just heard them for so long, I know the people and the characters. I’ve heard the jokes and sometimes I know when they are making a comment about something that happened to them long, long ago.

Yep, sometimes the humor is lowbrow. I figure they are great 75% of the time, and 25% of the time I wish they hadn’t said that.

Also, they normally have great guests, and sometimes ask them good questions that others don’t think to ask (not just about reefer. I never heard them ask the astronaut that, but Joe Walsh, yes they did. Depends on the person).

I’d recommend them to nearly anyone, but with the caveat that they need more than a few hearings to ‘get’ them. Heck, even my Mother likes them sometimes, and she’s 72 now.

Different strokes and all that. Enjoy the ones you like, and so will I.

Have a great day… RT

Cbr416(iowa)
Thursday, November 26, 2015, 4:00 pm (UTC -6)

You nailed it. Unfortunately Waterloo Iowa has only two rock stations and the one that plays (gag) Bob and Tom plays canned rock that has be played over and over again. The reason they chose these two pathetic idiots is beyond me. There laugh will make you punch an infant. They have the sense of humor of a pre adolescent kid. It is insulting to listen to them. If you really want humor in the morning, listen to KUPD’s Homberg sickness in Phoenix. There humor is adult and will leave you in stitches to the point of a sore stomach. Good stuff.

Mike Glover
Tuesday, January 19, 2016, 9:51 am (UTC -6)

The worst part about Bob and Tom and that numb nut Chick is that they are so boring. All they talk about it is the damn NFL even when it’s not even football season. Hey Magoo, their are other sports to talk about. Another thing, nothing is more boring than listening to people talk about their kids and getting their guests to talk about their kids. They all talk like they belong to some exclusive club or something and that these potty stories are all interesting. No they are not! Save them for your families. Talk about funny interesting stories and leave the diaper talk at home.

Woodie
Friday, February 19, 2016, 1:33 pm (UTC -6)

Years ago they actually had some amusing comedy bits, but it gradually devolved into Tom obsessively asking his guests about their hair, or making yet another ass or fecal joke…that is when he wasn’t busy interrupting Chick or Kristy. I can’t say for sure if Tom is really an asshole or if he just plays one on the radio. I suspect the former

Mike Glover
Saturday, March 19, 2016, 9:10 am (UTC -6)

I think you were right the first time Woodie. Tom is really an asshole. If I hear him talk about his damn daughter Finn one more time I think I’m gonna hurl and mail the contents to the Bob and Tom Show. Leave the potty stories at home you boring old farts!

George Hess
Saturday, June 4, 2016, 1:58 am (UTC -6)

First of all Bob and Tom aren’t comedians, they’re crappy radio hosts who envision themselves as comedians. When funny guests come on and are considerably more funny than they are, you’ll hear one of them shift the topic/tempo to a crappy lead that murders the mood. Nothing worse than two unfunny people trying to chime in with someone who’s naturally funny.
Here’s how that goes:
– Comedian being hilarious talking about driving skills, bantering back and forth, legitimately being funny, he’s on a role and you can tell he’s going somewhere with all the little driving Jokes, leading up to a big finish,.. BUT too much attention being diverted from the stars, so you’ll see:
BorT – “Well yeah driving is crazy… so what about tattoos do you have any what are your thoughts on that.”
The other BorT – “Well, you could have a tattoo of crotchless panties and then,.. crotchless panties, the *guffaw*, the tatoo would *heh* just look like you’re wearing them, but with a tattoo.
Comedian, who’s just been derailed, “Uh yeah tattoo,..”

Their laughter is absolutely 100% forced, you can see it in the videos (the earlier the more obvious it was as people brought it to their attention) laughing like maniacs with dead facial expressions because it was just theater. This is especially obvious when it’s a musical guest, or a “call in”. Inevitably when thee’s not a comedian/musician there willing to push back a little and take the drivers seat, they will talk about the most insipid, mind-numbingly boring, mundane, shit, and laugh the whole time. This is one of the reasons stupid people like B&T b/c it gives them queues when to laugh, they don’t have to “figure out the joke” everything is given to them in pablum form, they just laugh along and feel like one of the simple minded little group. Bob and Tom’s “Type” of humor is what I would expect someone who doesn’t have a sense of humor of their own, or who doesn’t actually understand humor to glom onto. Their “Comedy” isn’t designed to be funny or insightful, it’s 100% designed for stupid people to be able to parrot at work the next day. Their Schtick is completely formulaic, and if you’ve heard one show, (minus the guests) you’ve heard them all. Their “Bits” are all complete tripe, run way too long and get replayed ad nauseum.
Those self produced “skits” are complete drivel. The *only* thing they have going for them is a great recording studio and budget, so their crap content sounds like it was professionally made and produced.

Their success? That’s a simple thing to ID. They appeal to simple minded less educated listeners, and they provide water cooler fodder for people who don’t learn anything on their own. There’s ZERO shortage of those type of people in the US, so celebrity will always be theirs for the taking. I find that there’s a particular person who “absolutely loves” Bob and Tom, and by correlation or coincidence, I’ve never found that type of person to be especially smart, or valuable to society as a whole. I hate to jump right to Hitler, but If given the opportunity to go back in time and either kill Hitler as a baby, or Bob and Tom as babies,… I’d have to kill B&T. Killing Hitler could easily cause someone far worse to rise to power, but removing B&T could only make the world a better place for music, comedy, radio, mankind.

George Hess
Saturday, June 4, 2016, 2:04 am (UTC -6)

@ Justin
Your post REALLY helps prove what I was saying about the kind of person who loves Bob and Tom.
Also, at no point in human history has “Popular” ever been synonymous with “Good”. People get rich all the time from the worst products/services imaginable.
I mean,.. Kanye West is a rich celebrity fer fucks sake, how much more of an example do you need to prove that being popular and rich doesn’t mean you’re good at anything.

Mike Glover
Monday, June 13, 2016, 6:30 am (UTC -6)

@ Justin
I guess you like boring repetitive stories about their kids and changing diapers, and forced asinine laughter. What ever turns you on Justine! Bite me asshole!

Richard
Friday, July 8, 2016, 2:04 pm (UTC -6)

Stumbled onto this by accident, but damn that laughter. I only hear them once in a very blue moon but the laughter stays with me long after and gives me the creeps. It’s scary.

Kelly
Thursday, July 28, 2016, 11:33 am (UTC -6)

Or the dogs, Mike, what about the damn dogs??!

Mike Glover
Thursday, September 8, 2016, 7:57 am (UTC -6)

Yes Kelly, those too. These bozos sound like women in a factory break room comparing smells.

Mike Glover
Friday, September 9, 2016, 5:26 am (UTC -6)

I wish these old pissers would work some new guests into the rotation once in a while. It’s always the same ones, that Costopilis or whatever the fuck this douchebag’s name is, Tim Dick Tebow, and that disgusting sow Ms. Fat! Another thing, whenever a funny song is being played, these morons have to keep laughing constantly is if their being gassed! I don’t know why Kristi Lee came back. Those jerks still keep cutting in on her with their lame jokes when she’s trying to read a news story. And finally, Chuck Mcgoo’s yelling in the backround like an idiot makes me want to go on a shooting spree. Their obsession with talking about kids is a complete snore fest. The only thing that keeps me listening is Donnie Baker. I swear to God it is.

Mike Glover
Monday, October 10, 2016, 9:47 am (UTC -6)

Hey Cheesebutt. Donnie Baker is the only funny member of this tired old show. Grow a little humor Cheesedick!

Mike Glover
Tuesday, November 1, 2016, 9:19 am (UTC -6)

Ever notice during all that moronic fake laughing you can still hear Bob laughing even though he left almost a year ago? They must be pushing some laugh track button. I like to laugh as much as the next two guys but unless I’m on nitrous their is no way everything is that funny. They laugh like mental patients at everything. That Chick Mcgay gets of my nerves with his yelling in the back round. And most of all that damn Griswold’s obsession with talking about all his kids is about as exciting as whale shit. No matter what the topic is he has to maneuver the conversion around so he can tell everyone for the 5 billionth time he has kids. Enough already.

Submit a comment

RSS feed for comments on this post

◄ Blog Home Page